Saturday, August 31, 2013

Know Your Style, Not Just Your Shape

It is so very important to know your body shape, what works, and what does not. A very long time ago a I heard a good friend of mine say " Honey just because they make it in your size does not mean you are supposed to wear it". I think about that a lot when I shop. Sometimes I do tend to get very close to the edge with my wardrobe. I like different, unique, fun pieces that aren't like "what everyone else is wearing". I don't mind being the first to wear a different style or print. That's what makes fashion interesting. I do however realize that not everything that comes out is for me. I think that this chart is funny. I mean really, I am not shaped like any of these. If I had to pick I would say apple, banana, hourglass, triangle. I don't know, I just know I am not pear shaped nor am I a stick like a banana so therefore those are my other options.  I think that we try to hard to be a certain shape or type. Don't get too hung up on what "shape" you are, work with what you have and focus on what is best for you.

Another key factor to remember is that things change, shift, move. You may wake up one day and the pants that fit the day before are so tight you can't button them even though you weigh exactly the same. I am sort of going through this now. It is like size and styles that I could wear at this weight 10 years ago are NOT happening now. Somethings are better, some are worse, some I don't even want to talk about. Which leads me to my next point.

No "body" is perfect. I think that when you first start out losing weight, and yes I have said this, you think if I could just have my body back. You know the one I am talking about. The one you didn't appreciate when you had it before. The body that had more flaws than positives, and now you would just take the flaws. Yeah that's the one. The problem is, it will never be exactly like it was. Whether you have gained weight, lost weight, or stayed exactly the same. That's not an easy pill to swallow at all. I have decided to focus on being fit and healthy, in turn the body I get for that is what it is and I am okay with that.

I said all of that to say this, know your style, not just your shape. Take a close friend shopping, someone that knows you. Not someone that is going to only find things they like. My sister-in-law Chastity is one of those few people for me. We can shop from day light to dark and both can laugh at ourselves and immediately know when to say no, and have been known to simultaneously say "NOOOOOO!" out loud. Other times it's just a look or that "high-pitched" tale tale sign that we don't really like something. Be honest, without being judgmental or hurting feelings. Accentuate the positive, "I do like this, but I think we can find something that works better for you". Just remember that  ultimately you are the only one that can honestly look in a mirror and say, this works or doesn't.  Don't worry that others may or may not like it. Fashion is supposed to be fun, and personal, unique to you. Know what your style is, wear it, like it, be amazing.


WHAT WORKS FOR ME...
Ok, so for me, I am 5'8" tall and I weight 170 pounds. I am bigger through the chest and and fairly broad shoulders. I am what your granny might call "big-boned". I have never been petite. Now some people think that being skinny makes you "petite". No ladies, petite means shorter than average height with a small frame. I have smaller arms and legs and my hips are not too much wider than my waist line.  Usually my biggest challenge is finding pants that fit right. If they fit in the waist the are too big in the rear and thighs. If they fit in the rear and thighs they are way to tight in the waist. I tend to lose weight in my rear and backs of my legs first. I don't know why in the world it happens like that but it does. This very week I noticed that a pair of pants that should be loose at my current weight are tight on my thighs and hips, and loose in the waist. They kept falling down and sticking right at my thigh which made for an interesting appearance. WHAT???? That has never happened. Cue, body shifting! This is why I said I am a combo of the apple, banana, hour glass. At this particular moment in time I would say I am more hour glass shaped. For the first time in a very long time I am slightly more evenly proportioned. My heaviest area is still my chest but I can see the beginning of a waist and haven't completely lost my derriere.

One shoulder tops and dresses are one of my favorite things to wear. They draw attention away from the chest area and up onto my neck and collar bone. It also minimizes the appearance of that area. The right strapless dresses can also have this same affect. Although I love them, off the shoulder tops make me look like a line backer! My broad shouldered frame is just not cute with them. I have some tops that will do that but I just wear them up on my shoulders. V-necks are also good for me. Square, boat, and regular scoop necks are a no-no for me. Piko tops work good for me even with the "boat" style neckline because the sleeves are so fitted it draws attention from the width of my shoulders. Scoop necklines are okay if the shoulders are out or has a slit in them to break the material. Racer back tops and tanks are great because they cut in at the right places for my shape. I have fairly thin arms so the racer back accentuates them well. As far as length goes, since I am tall I usually wear leggings with shorter dresses. I love maxi skirts and dresses, and shorter above the knee skirts and dresses. One advantage to being tall and having long legs is that you can pretty much wear any length skirt and look fabulous, EXCEPT a mini, because on me it would not be appropriate for the public! The disadvantage, people think everything you wear is "too short". They don't realize you have way more leg that others! I like tops and dresses that have elastic a little above the waist or a belted waistline slightly above my natural waist. My whole mid section is my main problem area. Since I am not a whole lot smaller in the waist than the width of my hips having the waistline of a dress or top gather or fit slightly above my waist gives the appearance that it is a good bit smaller than my hips. This also helps balance the top with the bottom.

Pants and jeans are always an adventure for any woman. For me, one of my main goals when I first started losing weight was to wear a freaking pair of skinny jeans! I will never forget buying my first pair. I do have a phobia of those tight stone washed jeans that cut the circulation to your feet off at the ankle. The ones that had a zipper and usually some form of a bow or button at the top of the zipper. I was worried to death that that would be the appearance they had. To me they help balance out my chest because of the way they are made to fit tight on hips and thighs and taper down. The best skinny jeans I have ever found, by far, are by Jag. I also love the ankle jeans. I don't look just great in capris so ankle skinny jeans hit at a perfect fun length for wedges, sandals or heels in the spring and summer, and tuck neatly into boots for fall and winter. I also love a great pair of bootcut jeans or pants. Not flare, oh no not flare, I look horrible in flare. Bootcut provides just enough tightness in the hip and thigh and a slight flare to balance the top out at the bottom.   I love wide leg and palazzo pants. I started wearing printed ones last fall and winter. Lucky for me they finally became really popular this year so now I have endless choices for patterns prints and styles. I intend on stocking up because I will wear them even when everyone else is not. Printed leggings with a solid  Piko top or long sweater also work great for me.


You know when you know...
When I try on clothes I just know, somethings are "me" others, not so much. My mama is is great about knowing what works for me. She is one of the only people that can buy me clothes for a birthday, Christmas, or just because, without me trying it on. It always fits, works, and looks just like "Kellie". Every girl should experience, at least once in her life, walking into a dressing room, putting on an outfit, and saying "Yes, this is perfect for me". That's a great feeling y'all.





No comments:

Post a Comment